Saturday, May 1, 2010

29)#102-11. Blueberry Crumbles Never Meant This Much!

Up to now, we've been discussing the main themes of The Bluest Eye. In my opinion, racial self-hatred and the distorted perception of beauty are the most significant ones, so I tried to find an image to symbolize them both. This is completely made up, so you can disagree. Like I mentioned, I just brainstormed and found this on my own. I wanted to try a different writing style as well, so here it goes...

'Blueberry crumbles'

1) In terms of racial self-hatred, one should clearly understand the scene between pages 107 and 109. Here, Pauline's daughter Pecola accidently drops the blueberry pie which her mother had never made for her. However, it is a routine dessert she makes for the white little girl who wears 'a pink sunback dress with pink fluffy slippers.' The little white girl is the princess and Pecola is the ugly duckling.

When Pecola smashes the pie, Pauline sees the 'ugly duckling' she has given birth to. Anger explodes as she beats the daughter she can't look in the eye. On a subconcious level, I think Pecola's condition reminds Pauline of her own ugliness and that is why she takes it out on Pecola.

2) In terms of the distorted perception of beauty, I hinted on the former clause. In the book, there is a serious portrayal of the 'white princess vs. black ugly duckling' conflict(I coined the term myself). In this scene, the little girl starts crying when she sees the blueberry crumbles. Even though eating blueberry pies is a usual thing for her, she cries and garners the affection of Pauline; whereas, Pecola gets a severe beating. The white girl gains attention because of her princess-like characteristics; however, even though it is a small mistake anyone could have made, Pecola is treated brutally. Her looks victimize her in the eyes of her mother. The distorted perception of beauty declares the winner and the loser in an unfair way.

'Pie' by AriCee under CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post and you've definitely identified the two main themes in the book.

    Maybe Pauline can't see to stand the blueberry crumble ruined because she can't stand to see her perfect, artificial world 'crumble' before her eyes. She has constructed it so carefully and in a sense, it's all she has.

    One thing - it's not Polly who cries, remember that's Pauline's nickname. We never find out the name of the little girl.

    I think you're so right that the little brat knows just how to manipulate Pauline and get all the attention - Pauline is actually doing her a grave disservice, and the little girl will probably end up with a distorted Maureen Peal personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah! Sorry, I forgot to change Polly to white little girl.. I realized it when I published this. I'll edit it right away :)

    Well, the thing is that the little white girl will always justify her bad manners with her 'beauty' and most likely, she'll be accepted the way she is.
    Isn't it still like that even in year 2010? I appreciate Morrison for hinting this actually.

    ReplyDelete