Monday, April 26, 2010

28)#102-10. What Was Right Back Then?? [A Question of Morality]


Now that spring break is over*sobs*, I can get back to blogging. This entry is for week 10.

During our off-week, I read the ‘winter’ and ‘spring’ sections and I noticed a pattern. Why must all adult characters have some kind of perversion?!? Cholly impregnates his daughter; Soaphead Church is a pedophile; Mr. Henry sexually assaults Claudia and spends time with prostitutes... this list can go on. I must ask, “Was it that bad?!?” I mean those times was not the best of times, but why is every character morally corrupt? It really bothered me when I read the book.

Like I mentioned in my previous entry, the self-hatred of African-Americans (because of internalization of the white perception etc.) also bothered me. In class, we talked a lot about this issue and as I’d like to call upon ‘the doll quote’ which effectively illustrates the topic at hand. As Simge already knows, I do not like dolls(if you are that curious why I don’t like them, see her entry 'The Bluest Eye' and no, I did not get paid to advertise her blog, it is just because I want to :P).

I’ll blog about week 11 later…
If anyone would like to harass me-jk- or just randomly say hello, please do so. I like comments very much though I seem to have a limited audience :’(

4 comments:

  1. You make a very interesting point here...I mentioned the sexual subtext, but you're right that this seems to tend more towards sexual perversion...I doubt if Morrison is trying to make a point about the times...I do think she's trying to highlight certain points about women's sexuality. It would be worth exploring this observation further! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think her main point was to show the morality of the society at those times either. Nevertheless, it was something that caught my eye, so I thought I'd share it.

    If we explore her points about women's sexuality, we might need to write another academic paper for it. Gulp! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd definitely be the person to write this academic paper, Hazal... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Sonja :)

    Now if only Sabanci would give me a break.. ;)

    ReplyDelete