Sunday, May 9, 2010

30)#102-12. The Way Love is..

Now that the novel is over, what should I talk about?

First of all, I'd like to congratulate my group members, please don't mind our lame group name
'The Cheesecakes'
(I don't remember when and how we got named like that, but whatever!). We stressed out like mad, but won in the end, so yay! (:

Secondly, I'd like to mention a quote in the 'Summer' part of the novel.


* This sentence really caught my eye, "Love is never any better than the lover." I think Morrison touches a great point here. I definetely agree with her. The identity of a person affects how that person treats other people- especially her/his lover. If you go to the last page of the novel to find this quote, the following of the quote is just as interesting. "Wicked people love wickedly, violent people love violently, weak people love weakly, stupid people love stupidly.." I really like the way Morrison illustrated this idea of love in connection with one's personality. Wouldn't you agree with what she is saying? I definetely do so.. We love people the way we are, and we cannot be any different.

* The reasons don't matter, I do not care: "Cholly, you bastard!"(Sorry for being so straight-forward, Sonja, but somebody needs to put it out there!)

2 comments:

  1. It's a very wise passage indeed. How can we expect the quality of love to be high when the person giving it has known little other than abuse? And yet Pecola loves...that is her true beauty.

    And hey, I have no problems with forthright self-expression! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is Pecola's true beauty and tragedy at the same time..She's too innocent to realize the man who is beside her is the most dangerous kind. She has no control over her fate..She still loves him in a way..I do not know how to respond to that.

    And I'm happy that you are okay with my expression. I just had to write it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete